Marketing Your Website
But, just because it’s built and it’s online doesn’t mean that people will find it. ‘Build it and they will come’ is not something to believe in here, you need to let people know that you are online and marketing your website has never been more important. That said we are not just looking for anyone to visit your site, you want high quality views on your site from people in the market for your product or service.
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) – We have written about this in our article Search Engines (PPC/SEO) but it is important to point that this technique can be very useful to getting relevant traffic to your site. In brief, SEO is about putting the right words in the right places to ensure search engines like Google know you exist. You also need to build up ‘search authority’ for your site making it a relevant place of interest for people searching for specific terms that match what your website is about. There will never be a complete guide to mastering SEO. Even Google themselves tell you that if you are caught trying to cheat the system you will be ‘blacklisted’ and won’t be seen on their search engine … but genuinely putting good quality content on the site, keeping it up to date and getting other ‘authority sites’ to link to you covers the main points.
- Pay Per Click (PPC) –Different from SEO, PPC means you can be at the top of Google or other search engines today. SEO can take several months and even years. PPC can be very effective if set up effectively, driving very highly targeted traffic to your website. However, if done wrong it can be a very costly mistake, seek expert advice from digital marketing agencies or PPC experts. Find out more in our other post Search Engine Marketing.
Download our marketing plan template
- Social media – There is a lot of noise out there about social media and the power it can have at bringing in new leads to your business but tread carefully. If you are selling to businesses, there is little point trying to promote your website through Facebook or Twitter because they are fundamentally based on social content. LinkedIn might be a stronger platform to reach your target audience. That being said, if you are selling to consumers Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media might be a good way to market your website as long as it’s done properly because like PPC it can be a costly mistake if done wrong. However, it’s important that when you’re thinking about marketing your website on social platforms, you do so in a creative, sociable and shareable way – not easy!
- Quality & Unique content, regularly – Blogging is nothing to be fearful of, in fact it is a great way to drive traffic when you are marketing your website. Blogging ‘forces you’ to create content that is relevant to your business and that your target customers will value. If you are not sure what to write about, start by thinking what your ideal customer would want to know about your product and write educational articles on the benefits of your product/service. If you are still struggling to write content or you don’t have time, you can hire individuals or businesses to create high quality content for you to use on your site. Always ensure your content is unique and high quality.
- Email marketing – Email is still the most used form of communication in the business world. Using email to drive traffic to your site can be very effective. If you are creating quality and unique content (i.e. blogging as above), you will want to share this with your audience and adding links in an email newsletter is a great way to stay in touch with your customers and reach new customers. Done effectively this can drive some high quality traffic to your site.
Don’t forget old-school traditional marketing too. If you meet someone at a networking event, often the first reaction when back at your office is to take a quick look at their website. Make sure your website address is clearly displayed on all marketing materials, include it on adverts, vehicle livery, brochures and leaflets, business cards and letterheads. You just don’t know when your next opportunity is going to crop up!
Your site can be marketed with traditional methods also, check out our other content for other marketing tips but seek help and advice from marketing experts if you want your business to take off.
Thoughts on marketing your website from Yorkshire Powerhouse
You’ve read our guide on Marketing Your Website – have you any questions?
Here at Yorkshire Powerhouse, we’re happy to help as much as possible – is there anything else we can do to help you, do you have any further questions or can we help introduce you to an expert – please let us know:
With the abundance of “easy to use” software on the web it seems like it SHOULD be easy to create a professional website yourself? Read >