Attracting New Customers
“Ninety percent of selling is conviction, and 10 per cent is persuasion.” – Shiv Khera
Owning and running a business means you should always be attracting new customers.
New customers mean more revenue and more growth and when you are starting a new business there is nothing more important. Attracting new customers helps to cover your costs and get you on target to reaching profitability.
Here are some key areas to focus on when you are attracting new customers:
- Plan – When attracting new customers, planning is key. Knowing your ideal customer where they spend their time and why your product or service is something they need.
- Identify your ideal customer – be specific here, we’ve talked about this in previous articles. The more specific you can be about who will buy your product the better you will be able to attract new customers and allow you to be more cost effective with your efforts. Identify their age, demographic, average income and most importantly where they spend their time so you can reach them at that point.
- Following up – as a new business owner you might be a little nervous of following up. You may think you are being a ‘cheesy salesman’ but this isn’t the case. You need business and if you’ve identified this person as someone who needs your product or service … so you must create a follow up cycle that will keep them engaged enough until they buy from you.
Download our business and marketing plan templates for free:
- Networking – you will have heard many people tell you that word of mouth is the best form of marketing and it is. If a friend recommends a product or service to you, the chances are you will be more likely to buy it. Networking can build your word of mouth marketing efforts by giving you the opportunity to meet others who might be in the market for your product or service. They might have people in their network who might be interested in buying from you.
- Design – ‘Packaging’ your product or service into an ‘easy to grasp’ solution is an underrated way of attracting new customers. Above we spoke about identifying your customers, this is also important that your branding, marketing materials, website and point of sale is designed for your customers and not you.
- Outsource – if your efforts following the advice above work at attracting new customers you will be busy working and may end up struggling to continue marketing when you’re busy. That doesn’t mean this should stop. For the best results it is advised to hire in extra help from marketing agencies and other companies to ensure your customer base is always growing. You can easily outsource marketing activity such as copy writing, email marketing and social media posting to keep the noise going.
Whatever your marketing efforts, you should remember that ‘marketing’ will only ever get you to 90% of the sale. You still need to pick up the phone, ask for an order, knock on the door! If you’re attracting new customers then you’re doing it right – just do more of it!
Always be looking to attract new customers but do it effectively by knowing your customers and be in front of them when they are ready to buy. You can easily outsource marketing activity such as copy writing, email marketing and social media posting to keep the noise going.
Thoughts on attracting new customers – Yorkshire Powerhouse
Setting your prices at the right level requires an in-depth knowledge of your market & who you are looking to sell to Read >