Click here to visit the GREAT Yorkshire Directory for quality business suppliers in YOUR AREA

Business Tax – an overview

At Yorkshire Powerhouse, we work with small to medium-sized businesses to support them and help them grow. We’ve like to bring you relevant information on different aspects of taxation that apply to small businesses so please subscribe to our newsletter (below) to keep yourself informed.

As a business owner or company director, knowing whether or not you’re paying the right amount of tax can be tricky. The finer details and legislative points are probably best left to the accountants, but it’s still important to have an understanding of the different taxation systems implemented by HMRC.

This guide and the following pages will use straightforward terminology to explain the different types of taxes that can affect your business, giving you a brief overview of what they are and how they’re calculated. We’ll look at:

Personal Taxes

Corporation Tax


Thinking of writing a business plan?

Download our business plan template


When you should start paying these taxes depends on your company’s individual circumstances; whether you’re a sole trader or a limited company, how much profit your business generates, and your annual turnover.

Your business and circumstances are completely unique to you, and so the best advice we can give is to speak to an expert in accountancy.

Taxation can be complicated and challenging to get right … find an expert (an accountant!) who can support your business and work with you for the future growth you aspire towards.

Thinking about tax at Yorkshire Powerhouse

You’ve read our introduction to tax – have you any questions?

Here at Yorkshire Powerhouse, we’re happy to help as much as possible – is there anything else we can do to help you, do you have any further questions or can we help introduce you to an expert – please let us know:

Please leave this field empty.

Naylor Wintersgill Chartered Accountants

Tasker Accounting Services Limited

Naylor Wintersgill Chartered Accountants

On The Spot Accountants Harrogate

Phoenix Bookkeeping & Accountancy Ltd

Guides within this section

Corporation Tax

Guide:Corporation Tax

Personal Liabilities

Guide:Personal Liabilities


Guide:VAT – an overview

Please share this page with your own network to spread the word:

Yorkshire Powerhouse Limited is a company registered in England & Wales No. 10237925.
Registered address: 40 Gordon St, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield HD7 5LH